A law graduate who wishes to enroll as an Advocate as a member of the Pakistan Bar Council must pass an Assessment Test under the Pakistani Legal Practitioners & Bar Councils Rules, 1976, before applying to the BAR Council for enrollment.
This article thoroughly discusses the GAT Law Test with complete information and guidelines. Therefore, I will endeavor to answer all questions that may arise in the reader’s mind regarding the Law-GAT test.
Today you’ll learn:
- What is LAW-GAT
- Eligibility criteria
- HEC LAW-GAT test centers
- Test type and passing criteria
- Syllabus for LAW-GAT
- How to apply
- Documents needed at the center
Let’s start with what LAW-GAT is.
- 1 What Is LAW-GAT
- 2 Eligibility Criteria
- 3 Official Advertisement of LAW-GAT By HEC
- 4 HEC-Law GAT Test Centers
- 5 Test Type And Passing Criteria
- 6 How To Apply
- 7 Documents Needed at the Examination Center:
- 8 FAQs
What Is LAW-GAT
GAT is the abbreviation of the law Graduate Assessment Test. Before entering the legal profession, all LLB graduates must take the HEC LAW-GAT.
The Law Graduate Assessment Test (Law-GAT) is a test administered by the Higher Education Commission to evaluate the ability of law graduates in Pakistan.
According to the Supreme Court of Pakistan’s order of resumption, all law students who wish to become members of the legal profession are required to take the HEC Law-GAT.
A key objective of the test is to ensure proper scrutiny and evaluation of law graduates desirous of becoming lawyers, thus ensuring that only competent individuals possessing the necessary basic law knowledge may enter the legal profession.
Related: MDCAT 2023 Syllabus PDF Download
Law Graduate Assessment (Law-GAT) can be taken by any candidate who meets the following criteria:
- Candidates must possess a Bachelor’s degree in law or equivalent from a university recognized by the HEC and PBC.
- The applicants have not taken advantage of all five chances to qualify for the GAT.
- Graduates with at least 17 years of education are eligible to take the LAW GAT.
- Candidates awaiting results will not be eligible to participate in the test.
- The Pakistan Bar Council (PBC) may also require applicants to meet other criteria, if any.
- Candidates must adhere to the rules and regulations of the Pakistan Bar Council.
Official Advertisement of LAW-GAT By HEC
HEC-Law GAT Test Centers
Following are the test centers where the examination will be conducted.
Some things to consider before applying are:
- The applicant may select one center from the above-mentioned centers.
- Once a center has been selected, it cannot be changed after registration. Therefore, it is important to choose your center carefully.
- The test will be conducted in any center if at least 250 students register.
Test Type And Passing Criteria
Multiple choice questions will be included in the test. (MCQs)
For the LAW-GAT test to be passed, a score of 50% is required.
Syllabus for LAW-GAT
|The curriculum of the Law Graduate Assessment Test (LAW -GAT)|
I. World Constitutions
II. Constitutional History of Pakistan
III. 1973 Constitution of Pakistan
II. laws of Contract/limitation/torts/specific relief
III. Maxims Equity
II. Cr. P.C
III. Law of Qisas and Diyat
|5||Law of Evidence
I. Qanoon-e-Shahadat Order, 1984
|7||Cannons of Professional conduct and
Etiquettes of Advocate as prescribed under
Chapter XII of the Pakistan Legal Practitioners
& Bar Councils Rules, 1976.
|8||English Legal Language||5%|
How To Apply
- Visit the link. https://etc.hec.gov.pk/
- You will land on the HEC website.
- Now click on the signup button as mentioned in the image.
It will redirect you to the signup page. Here you can provide your credentials to create an account. Fill out all the fields and click on the sign-up button.
Once you click the signup button, an OTP will be generated to verify your phone number. A code will be sent to the phone number you have provided. Enter this code here and click on the Verify button.
After verification, it will redirect you to the sign-in page. Here you will provide your CNIC and password to log in.
Once you have signed in, you will see a dashboard, as shown in the following picture. The next step is to click on the link indicated by the red arrow.
Once you have filled out all the personal, biographical, postal, and nationality information, click on the “Next” button.
The next step is to fill out the application information. Please indicate which test you would like to take. Now specify your preferred city. Once you have filled out this information, you can download a challan form.
Download the fee challan of RS.3000 from the ETC online registration portal. Submit the fee in account No. 01127900567403.The funds should be deposited in a bank and your challan number should be written on the deposit slip. Please place this challan in the location indicated in the image below.
Now click on Submit button. Your application will be submitted.
- If the application is not submitted, Incomplete, or in saved mode, it will not be entertained.
- Only applications will be entertained whose application status is submitted.
- The test fee is not refundable.
- Applicants will download their Roll no. slips from the HEC website one week before the test.
Documents Needed at the Examination Center:
The following documents are needed before entering the center.
- A print of roll no. slip
- Original CNIC
- Deposited fee challan
Q. What is the last date to apply for the LAW-GAT test.
Ans: The Last date to apply is June 15, 2022.
Q. When will the test be held
Ans: The test will be held on July 3, 2022 ( as per the advertisement by HEC).
Q. What is the passing percentage for the LAW-GAT test
Ans: The test will be considered pass if you achieve minimum of 50% marks.
We hope this article will be helpful to you and provide all the information you need about the LAW-GAT exam. Please feel free to leave a comment if you have any questions. We’ll be happy to assist you.